You can always rely on Nigel Slater for the tastiest, classic flavour combinations. We've adapted his recipe for beans with leeks and caerphilly to create this plantbased veganuary friendly version. Creamy butter beans, cheesy leeks, and crunchy, tangy original kraut; this is beans on toast, but not as you know it.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 6 slices sourdough
- 500g Leeks
- 400g Bold Bean Co Butter Beans
- 250ml Vegan double cream
- 6 TBS The Cultured Collective’s Original Sauerkraut
- 150g Vegan cheddar (grated)
- 2 TBS grainy mustard
- 1TBS plain flour
- 1 TBS grainy mustard
- Handful chopped parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Trim the leeks into ~1-2cm thick rounds, discarding the roots and tips. Wash them thoroughly in a under cold running water.
- Melt the butter in a deep-sided pan and add the leeks. Cover with a lid and let them steam for about 15 minutes on a low heat, until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the leeks, stir continuously for a couple of minutes to allow it to cook out.
- Then add in the double cream, grainy mustard, grated cheddar and a little salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Once the cream is hot and the mixture has started to bubble, stir in a drained 400g can of butter beans and continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Stir through the chopped parsley.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the sourdough and turn the grill on. Place the toast on a baking sheet or grill pan. Spoon the mixture on to the pieces of toast and place under the heated grill. Watch carefully and let cook until golden.
- Top with generous spoons of Original Sauerkraut.