A speedy kimchi fried rice recipe that's perfect for a delicious and nutritious weeknight dinner.
Recipe created by the wonderful chefs at Field Doctor. Field Doctor make award winning, dietitian designed and chef made meals which are packed with plant diversity and targeted to your specific health needs.
- 2 cups cooked whole grain rice, approx 500g
- 250g jar kimchi, chopped
- 250g tofu (or protein of your choice), diced
- 150g Shelled edamame (or use peas)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 100g spinach
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
1. Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and the diced tofu (or whatever protein you are using) and cook until coloured and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set it aside.
2. In the same pan, add another 1 tbsp oil and the onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes translucent, then add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
3. Add the chopped kimchi to the pan and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes slightly cooked and fragrant. Place with the tofu.
4. In the same pan add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and the cooked rice. Break up any clumps of rice and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes until the rice is heated through.
5. Meanwhile mix together the sesame oil, soy sauce and eggs. Pour the mixture over the rice and stir-fry for an additional 3-5 minutes, until all the egg is cooked and beginning to caramelise.
6. Add the cooked tofu and kimchi back to the pan along with the edamame, spring onion and spinach and stir-fry until wilted and heated through. Season with pepper to taste.