Tempeh is becoming more and more popular these days with veganism on the rise as its a brilliant plant-based protein option. It has a wonderfully dense, meaty texture and works well with robust spice blends making it a perfect choice for tacos. These tacos have a lovely sweet and smoky quality which is complimented by the sharpness of the sauerkraut. Tacos aren't quite the same without the extras though, so make sure you add a a few of the optional fillings listed below; my non-negotiables are guacamole and fresh salsa.
soft shell tortillas
1 tsp oil for frying (coconut or peanut)
1 onion (diced)
1 red pepper (finely sliced)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 TBS tomato paste
2 TBS Smoked Chipotle Chilli Kraut (Where To Buy)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp chipotle flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder or
1 tsp garlic powder
1) Mix all taco seasoning ingredients together - I like to add everything to an old jar which makes it super easy to shake up to combine all the different herbs, spices and seasonings. It's also great if you want to batch-up the recipe as you can double/triple the ingredients and leave the remainder in your pantry.
2) Slice the tempeh into 5mm thick, bite-size pieces and place into a mixing bowl. Cover with the taco seasoning and mix well to ensure that all the tempeh has a healthy coating of spices.
3) Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent (3-4 minutes)
4) Add the sliced pepper and cook until just starting to soften - about two minutes.
5) Add the tempeh to the pan and give everything a good stir to mix
Build your tacos with your choice of preferred condiments from the list below.
1) Add the avocado to a small bowl and mash until it has a smooth and creamy texture
2) Add all other ingredients and mix well
350g cherry tomatoes
1/4 red onion
2 TBS coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
salt & pepper to taste
1) Add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz in short bursts until they are well combined. Be sure to keep a nice chunky texture.
OTHER OPTIONAL FILLINGS (choose as many as you fancy)