Crispy tempeh steaks enveloped in soft, pillowy white bread. Up the ante with this sweet, sour, spicy and most satisfying of sandwiches…
Our recipe is 100% vegan and plantbased with added gut healthy benefits from live fermented kimchi.
Ingredients (Makes 6 sandwiches)
- 6 slices of white bread, thick and soft
- 1 Tiba Tempeh Traditional block (200g)
- 5 TBS of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 small white cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the slurry:
- 4 TBS plain flour (cornflour, arrowroot powder, chickpea flour or rice flour will also work)
- 100ml water
For the Kimchi Mayo:
- 2TBS The Cultured Collective Turmeric & Ginger Kimchi
- 2TBS Vegan Mayo
For the katsu sauce:
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Mix together all the ingredients for the katsu sauce and set aside
- Finely dice the kimchi and mix thoroughly and evenly with the vegan mayo and set aside.
- Slice the tempeh into 6 even ‘steaks’ about 1cm thick.
- Spread the Panko breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Make the slurry by whisking together the flour and water. Pour the mixture into a low-profile bowl. Dip the tempeh into the flour slurry, drip off any excess and then gently coat in the breadcrumbs.
- In a deep frying pan, heat an inch of oil and gently fry the steaks until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the heat and set aside on some paper towel or a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
- Spread 3 pieces of the bread 1tsp each of Dijon mustard. Top with a generous layer of Kimchi mayonnaise. Add the tempeh steaks, tonkatsu sauce and shredded cabbage. Top with the remaining slices of bread, remove the crusts, cut each sandwich in half and serve.