Bacon and Kimchi are a match made in heaven. Leeks have a gentle sweetness that works anywhere you usually use onions. They're especially delicious contrasted with salty foods, and work perfectly in this hearty quiche. Serve alongside mixed greens.
- 1 x 500g Chilled or Frozen Shortcrust Pastry Block, defrosted if frozen
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 leeks, trimmed & thinly sliced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, coarsely chopped
- 50g grated vintage cheddar
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 125ml (1/2 cup) cream
- 100g The Cultured Collective Classic Kimchi, finely diced
- 1tsp Olive oil
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Roll the pastry out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed fluted flan tin (at least 3cm deep). Prick the base all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with a sheet of baking paper and fill with ceramic baking beans (or rice) and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the lining paper and beans and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the pastry is pale golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C (170°C fan oven) Gas Mark 5.
- Fry the bacon in a drizzle of oil in a frying pan until crisp, then scoop out and set aside.
- In the same pan, gently cook the leeks with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes until soft.
- Cool slightly, then tip the leeks into a bowl with the bacon, eggs, cream, kimchi and cheddar, salt and black pepper. Mix well and pour into the tart case. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.